keywords: health, heart disease, cardiovascular risk, luxembourg.
This Friday, September 29, 2017 is officially the “World Heart Day”. The Luxembourg authorities are taking advantage of this day to draw attention to the fact that in Luxembourg, in 2015, nearly 30.2% of deaths have been caused by diseases of the circulatory system. This makes it the leading cause of death in Luxembourg, with women being more affected than men.
Another worrying figure: In Luxembourg, about 31% of the adult population aged 25 to 65 suffers from high blood pressure. This proportion is among the highest in Europe. And beyond 60 years, almost 2/3 of the residents are concerned. In addition, one person in two is unaware that she is suffering from this disease.
So what to do against cardiovascular disease?
- Balanced eating: a balanced diet is a diet rich in fruits and vegetables, low in animal fats, sugar and salt.
- Stop smoking: smoking cessation can significantly reduce cardiovascular risk.
- Practice regular physical exercise: 150 minutes of moderate to intense activity per week at least.
- Avoid alcohol abuse: alcohol abuse destroys the heart muscle. Alcohol consumption should remain moderate.
- Regularly monitor your cardiovascular parameters: measuring your blood pressure, cholesterol, and sugar levels will allow you to start treatment as soon as possible and avoid cardiovascular complications later.
- Keep a stable and healthy weight BMI-Body mass index: 18.5-24.9.
Share this page with: